India’s largest luxury carmaker Mercedes-Benz launched the V-Class Marco Polo and Marco Polo HORIZON luxury vehicles in India and showcased the Volocopter.
The Marco Polo takes its body design from its base vehicle, the V-Class, giving generous space, and nonetheless showing compact exterior dimensions. Thanks to powerful and efficient engines, the 9G-TRONIC suspension, and high safety standards, the Marco Polo is suitable for long journeys .
Speaking about the launch, Martin Schwenk, Managing Director & CEO, Mercedes-Benz India commented, “The V-Class and V-Class Elite pioneered the luxury MPV segment in India and has witnessed much success ever since their launch. We are excited to expand the segment and launch the Marco Polo which is based on the V-Class, and create a new benchmark in the luxury MPV segment. Thanks to the compact dimensions of the Marco Polo and vehicle technology inherited from the V-Class, the Marco Polo and Marco Polo HORIZON are suitable for long journeys and at the same time for day-to-day and urban usage. The Marco Polo combines functionality with utmost luxury, unparalleled comfort, convenience, and uncompromised safety, all of which illustrate true characteristics of a Mercedes-Benz vehicle. We will continue to expand our portfolio with innovative products and sustainable technology in India.”
V-Class Marco Polo:
Engine & Transmission:
With the Marco Polo Camper van based on the V-Class, Mercedes-Benz India introduces another BS VI diesel vehicle. A 1950 cc diesel engine that churns out 163 hp and 380 Nm of torque will power the Marco Polo and Marco Polo Horizon.
The compact camper is ready any time – for vacation, spontaneous weekend trips out in the nature instead of staying in a hotel, for extended shopping trips with the entire family or even for driving to work. Therefore, the Marco Polo offers a maximum of opportunities to be independent, free and spontaneous.
V Class is loaded to the brim with features and is a true sense luxury adventure vehicle . It boasts of features like ; 360 degree reversing camera , LED Intelligent Light System , AGILITY CONTROL Features the basic Mercedes me connect services . Room for up to four people to sleep comfortably on the 2-seater bench / berth with an electro pneumatic backrest/in the roof bed , Four seats as standard, with the option to extend to up to six seats , Kitchenette with hob with two gas burners, sink and integral refrigerator and a folding table ,Diverse stowage options in cupboards, drawers and in the roof stowage box , Fresh water and waste water tank ,Exterior power connection plus 230V and USB socket.
It also comes with standard equipment like
- Cupboard module with kitchenette and trim in high-gloss black with piano-lacquer look
- 2 drawers at top with self-closing feature
- A large drawer bottom right with self-closing feature
- Floor unit on left with intermediate bottom and sliding door, table integrated into cupboard
- 38 l fresh water tank, 40 l wastewater tank
- Compressor refrigerator, 40 l capacity
- Rear right power vent window in the rear
- Exterior connection for 230V socket and lockable fresh water filler neck
- Floor covering in yacht-decking look creates a high-quality, pleasant atmosphere
- Comfort seat for driver and front passenger with impressive ergonomics and a flexible, practical swivel feature
- Extendable awning
- Camping table with two folding chairs
Standard Equipment for Sleeping – Marco Polo
- 2-seater bench as comfort berth with bed extension (bed area approx. 2.03 m x 1.13 m)
- Pneumatic seat bolsters and one drawer
- Easy electric pop-up roof pop-up roof with roof bed for two people
- Blinds in the rear and a curtain for the rear windshield for shade and privacy.
The Marco Polo HORIZON recreational vehicle
The Marco Polo Horizon is a revelation for anyone fond of spontaneous and stylish adventure tours, with the agility and the driving comfort of a passenger car that can deliver one to their dream destinations feeling relaxed.
Some key highlights comprises:
- Room for up to five people to sleep comfortably on the 3-seater bench and in the roof canopy bed
- Five seats as standard, with the option to extend to up to seven seats
- Multiple seating options available, e.g. comfort seating comprising five seats in the rear
- Electric sliding doors on the rear
- Manual Pop-Up roof
- Extendable awning
- Table package available as an option
- Opaque curtains in the rear and for the rear windscreen for privacy
- Comfort seat for driver and front passenger with impressive ergonomics and a flexible, practical swivel feature.
Standard safety features include windowbags and thorax-pelvis sidebags for the driver and front passenger, ATTENTION ASSIST, which can warn against inattention and drowsiness .
Volocopter: Urban Air Mobility –
The Volocopter was the very first manned flight of an electrically powered multicopter. Since then the German company has demonstrated flights in Dubai, Singapore, and Stuttgart. The pioneers in the development of electrical air taxis that take off and land vertically (eVTOLs), Volocopter builds aircraft that are based on drone technology and carry two people.
The company will establish Urban Air Mobility (UAM) in addition to current transportation options in megacities globally. The aim is to offer affordable on-demand air taxi services and save people time by flying them safely to their destination.
At the Auto Expo 2020 , a VoloCity 1:3 scale model is on display.