Eicher Group, which comprises Royal Enfield (a unit of Eicher Motors Limited) and VE Commercial Vehicles (a joint venture between the Volvo Group and Eicher Motors Limited), has pledged its commitment and contribution towards aid for the unprecedented crisis caused due to the Coronavirus pandemic outbreak in India. Eicher Group has announced an initial CSR outlay of Rs. Fifty crores towards various immediate relief and support measures, and towards building dedicated COVID-19 care facilities, to tackle the impact of the pandemic. While this is an initial commitment of funds, Eicher Group will continue to assess the situation and is likely to increase spends over the forthcoming months, to deploy support and for long term rehabilitation in the aftermath of the pandemic.
Having undertaken a detailed assessment of immediate and near-term requirements, Eicher Group will deploy the initial Rs. 50 crores for relief initiatives under the following areas:
- The Group will work towards providing food, provisions and sanitation consumables, as well as setting up sanitation facilities for high-need-gap, underprivileged local communities in parts of several states across the country. Towards this, the Group has partnered with reputed NGOs to assess needs and deliver support to the needy
- Part of the funds will be deployed to purchase and distribute personal protective equipment for medical care personnel across government hospitals in Chennai for the interim period, until Government procurement and supplies stabilize
- Eicher Group will work towards augmenting healthcare support by working with an identified set of government and private hospitals to build dedicated COVID-19 specialty wards, including isolation areas, and equipment towards patient care
- Funds will also be directed towards support and relief measures for truck drivers, including food and sanitation supplies and COVID-19 healthcare testing kits
- Employees of the Group have started contributing to Government relief funds. In addition, Eicher Group will also contribute towards the PM Care Fund as well as Relief Funds in Tamil Nadu and Madhya Pradesh
Eicher Group is in talks with various government organizations to support the production of critical medical equipment and supplies, including ventilators. This will include the employment and leverage of new-age technologies like 3-D printing for rapid scaling up of parts for the medical equipment.
While these are initiatives being undertaken immediately, there is a strong need to employ recovery and rehabilitation efforts in the medium and long term. Towards this, Eicher Group will be working on livelihood training and reskilling initiatives for rehabilitation of labour impacted in the aftermath of COVID-19, for improving their employability.